Friday, October 2, 2009

Yes, I am a "Traitor"

This morning, I turned on my computer and checked the daily headlines. I was browsing around the Internet and found a very interesting story, which had to do with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) deciding on the site for the 2016 Olympic Summer Games.

There were four finalists for this event: Tokyo, Madrid, Chicago, and Rio de Janerio. The first two cities that were eliminated came to be Tokyo and Chicago. It then all came down to Madrid and Rio De Janerio. Madrid would end up being eliminated and for the first time in the history of the South American Continent, a South American country will be hosting the Olympics.

Brazil will be the second Latin American country to host the games since Mexico did back in 1968. This is a monumental occasion for the country of Brazil and the Latin America countries in the region. It will be the formal ideal situation where Brazil, like China in 2008, to showcase their rising nation.

It is now time to address my "traitor" status, which has come to hit me, since I first professed my congratulations toward Brazil for scooping up the 2016 Olympic Games. Yes, I was not in support of the Chicago obtaining the bid, it was not due to any type of anti-Midwest sentiment toward this region, but I find it hard to take this bid seriously when the division between the citizens was so tempestuous.

However, this was not the main reason why I was excited for Brazil gaining the games. My main reason has to do with the lack of site distribution that has occurred since the Modern Olympics were first started up in 1896. I was looking over some numbers and I found a disturbing disparity of how many times the U.S. has hosted the Olympics games, which was a staggering 8 times. When I saw this my jaw just dropped, and after browsing through all of the other regions of the world that got to host the Olympics, I saw no country from the South American Continent had hosted the Olympic games. So, due to this reasoning, I find it prodigious that Brazil gets to host the 2016 Olympic Games. It is about time that this booming country and growing Continent firmly get to be on the World stage to show all that they have accomplished.

So, please if you happen to be upset that Chicago didn't get the games, remember that America has been more than lucky to host the Olympic Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment