Monday, November 2, 2009

Where were the Parents?

Last Monday, I was in the MLK library studying with a few friends. It has now become a weekly thing where every Monday, a couple of friends and I meet up and study at MLK to try to start the week right by studying in a nice sequestered environment. The feeling of silence makes it possible to help me focus, and actually get some work done, which otherwise would be near impossible in any other situation. I just seem to have a problem of studying at home, as there are too many distractions that await, but now getting back to the story.

Just as my friends and I were finally settled in to our table on the fifth floor, suddenly the fire alarm goes off. There remained to be incessant flashing of the alarm lights, and a nice uproar of people making their way to the stairs to exit. It was hard to imagine that this was happening. I was not sure what to think, and I tried not to rush to judgement, but then about an hour later another friend of mine walks into this local coffee shop, where my friends and I were attempting to study, with some news about the fire alarm being pulled. The reason why the fire alarm was pulled was due to some kid pulling the alarm. Just as I heard that I started to feel a little bit angry at the fact that some kid destroyed my relaxing study area. Yes, I know I'm complaining just like a little kid, but when I'm struggling to find the right place to study, it makes it hard to feel any type of understanding towards the kid. It is just other people in the library were trying to do the same thing and be productive in their studies.

I know that kids will be kids, but the question I have has to do with the Parents. Where were the Parents? Why were they not watching their kid? I know that I do not have the full story, but it is still hard to understand that this kid would be able to pull the fire alarm. Pulling a fire alarm is serious business, and when it is a false alarm that can make some people very frustrated. Yes, that includes myself. However, it was a false-alarm, but I just hope for future reference that these Parents are in complete control of their kid. Kids will be kids, and life goes on. So, in this case I will stop complaining and welcome this new week, as well as new month. May November be better than October. Good luck to everyone in this critical and defining month.

No comments:

Post a Comment